We often see many cases in which a woman wants to conceive but because of her excess weight, she has faced lots of issues. According to the research, it has been found that women who are overweight can have a number of different problems trying to become pregnant but there is no need to worry at all as many of the problems can be reversed when healthy eating and exercise are incorporated into her routine. Some of the problems which can result from being overweight while trying to conceiveinclude:
- An increased chance of having absent or irregular periods creates lots of problems in conceiving
- Producing too much estrogen, which can also make it difficult to get pregnant
- An increased chance of having complications during fertility treatments
- Having polycystic ovary syndrome, a hormonal disorder that is a major contributor to infertility in women of childbearing age
Once women who are overweight or obese is pregnant then there is a higher risk for the following complications during pregnancy:
- Heart disease
- Increased chance for birth complications in the baby
- Gestational diabetes
- High blood pressure and preeclampsiawhere preeclampsia is a dangerous type of high blood pressure that can happen during or right after pregnancy
- Cesarean birth
How To Reduce These Possible Risks?
There are various ways to reduce the risks but it is best to talk with your doctor and try tolose weight before becoming pregnant. Losing weight while you are pregnant is not advisable. Start having a healthy diet and exercise regularly before pregnancy, and keep this up once you become pregnant. Ensure to take 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day as it is a vitamin B that helps your cells grow. It plays an important role in helping make red blood cells, that carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body.
During the early stage of pregnancy,folic acid helps in preventing birth defects of the brain and spine, called neural tube defects. It is even more important in women who are overweight as their body requires more folic acid.
Weight didn’t have to be an obstacle and that there were things a female could do to increase her chance of becoming pregnant and having a healthy baby. Eating healthy foods, losing weight, and daily exercise can increase her chances of becoming pregnant and can decrease her chances of miscarriage, birth defects, and other pregnancy problems.
So if you are overweightor obese and it is the only issue in your conceiving than don’t give up and try the above-mentioned things or simply contact us.
To cover unexpected health expenses for the mother and the child during pregnancy or after childbirth see our prenatal insurance products.